March for the Fallen: Get Fit with Alpha Architect
As a former US Marine, Memorial Day is every day, however, Memorial Day is special because the time is set aside to reflect on those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. Enjoy and stay safe out there!
In addition to enjoying the long Memorial Day weekend, we offer a unique opportunity to honor the fallen and hang with good people trying to do good things for society.
One such event is March for the Fallen.
On 16 September, the National Guard Training Center in PA will host another “March for the Fallen” event.
The Alpha Architect team will be representing…but we’re looking for other motivators who can talk quant finance for 10hrs straight!
What’s March for the Fallen About?
Alpha Architect and friends participated last year and the experience was outstanding.
I rent out an Army barracks for those who are attending so we can get a good night’s rest the night before and pretend we are extras in the movie Full Metal Jacket.
Below is a shot of the scene from last year.
The course is 28 miles and there are hundreds of participants (mostly active duty military). The hike is fairly rugged with a mix of rolling hills (here is a map). There are water/nutrition stations spread out throughout the course and the support and camaraderie is second to none.
Two options on the course (both are non-trivial and require reasonable physical fitness, but more importantly, a strong mind):
- Most folks choose to hike the 28 miles. This is pretty challenging and I highly recommend this approach…however…
- You can also choose to do the 28 mile hike with a rucksack (35lb min before water/chow ~40lb loaded). This is incredibly challenging, but recommended for those who want to give it a whirl (I’ll be suffering with you).
Here is a shot from last year. Plan on 8-10hr+ out there. We will roll as a squad at a “get ‘er done” pace, not “try to win it” pace.
I’m Interested, How To I Participate in This Fiasco?
The high level details:
- No donations will be accepted/solicited: The donation on this one is blood, sweat, and tears.
- When: Arrive September 15, event September 16, http://www.gapmwr.com/
- What: 28 mile march (w/ or w/o pack). A great challenge and team builder
- Why: To support veterans who paid the ultimate sacrifice
- Where: Fort Indiantown Gap, PA @ the National Guard Training Center (2.5hrs from DC/NYC, 2hr from Philadelphia)
- Cost: ~$35 for event sign-up. I’ll rent an Army barracks for lodging (Max Capacity = 60). You just need to get there.
- RSVP to receive follow-on details — send to friends/colleagues so I have their information and manage housing logistics
- Register for the event and sign up for the “Alpha Architect” team.
Step 1: Pick the right event
Step 2: Sign up and attach to the Alpha Architect team
- Start a training program: sooner rather than later.
- Google ruck march training or Special Forces Q Course ruck training
- Tough Ruck is great: http://www.toughruck.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/AToughRuckGuide_2015edition.pdf
- Sample 4 month training program below
…exercise ensures successful brain function.
Note: This site provides NO information on our value investing ETFs or our momentum investing ETFs. Please refer to this site.
Join thousands of other readers and subscribe to our blog.
Please remember that past performance is not an indicator of future results. Please read our full disclosures. The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Alpha Architect, its affiliates or its employees. This material has been provided to you solely for information and educational purposes and does not constitute an offer or solicitation of an offer or any advice or recommendation to purchase any securities or other financial instruments and may not be construed as such. The factual information set forth herein has been obtained or derived from sources believed by the author and Alpha Architect to be reliable but it is not necessarily all-inclusive and is not guaranteed as to its accuracy and is not to be regarded as a representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the information’s accuracy or completeness, nor should the attached information serve as the basis of any investment decision. No part of this material may be reproduced in any form, or referred to in any other publication, without express written permission from Alpha Architect.
Definitions of common statistics used in our analysis are available here (towards the bottom)